Saturday 23 April 2016

Painted Poppies By Fiona Paltridge

Hello my friends. Fiona here with you today to share a painting I created using the gorgeous new 13@rts Rainbow Color Watercolor Powders.

"Poppies"


It is almost the 25th April and in Australia that marks a very special holiday.

ANZAC was the name given to the Australian and New Zealand Army Corps soldiers who landed on the Gallipoli Peninsula in Turkey early on the morning of 25 April 1915 during the First World War (1914-1918).
As a result, one day in the year has involved the whole of Australia in solemn ceremonies of remembrance, gratitude and national pride for all our men and women who have fought and died in all wars. 

That day is ANZAC Day - 25 April.


The red poppy has become a symbol of war remembrance the world over. People in many countries wear the poppy to remember those who died in war or who still serve. In many countries, the poppy is worn around Armistice Day (11 November), but in New Zealand and Australia it is most commonly seen around Anzac Day, 25 April.



The plant was one of the first to grow and bloom in the mud and soil of Flanders. The connection was made, most famously, by Lieutenant Colonel John McCrae in his poem 'In Flanders fields'.

In Flanders fields the poppies blow 
Between the crosses row on row, 
That mark our place; and in the sky 
The larks, still bravely singing, fly 
Scarce heard amid the guns below.

We are the Dead. Short days ago 
We lived, felt dawn, saw sunset glow, 
Loved and were loved, and now we lie 


I practiced first on my A4 watercolor pad and then once I was 
confident I painted my canvas which is 11.5" x 21" approximately (30cm x 60cm)




13arts Products used include:


I simply added water to the Rainbow Color watercolor powder and added the SPLASH inks while the layers were still a little wet. I just love painting poppies, they would have to be one of my favorite flowers. I find they are so easy to paint and for me, they have a "never fail" style about them.

Thank you so much for popping in and checking out my latest creation. If you want to try and create a watercolor painting yourself with the Rainbow Colors, then you can visit the Store to purchase your goodies.

See you again next month xx






3 comments: